Prosecutor Reveals Previously Unseen Evidence in Karmelo Anthony Case, Including Troubling Messages
New details have emerged in the legal case involving Karmelo Anthony, with prosecutors revealing a substantial amount of evidence that was never presented to the jury during his murder trial. The information was disclosed during a court hearing concerning Anthony’s appeal and includes allegations about his behavior toward a former girlfriend, as well as disturbing messages found on his phone.
According to Collin County Assistant District Attorney Bill Wirskye, Anthony’s former girlfriend had reportedly raised concerns about his behavior just hours before he fatally stabbed Austin Metcalf. Prosecutors say the newly discussed evidence could provide additional insight into Anthony’s state of mind and behavior before the fatal confrontation.
Wirskye told the court that Anthony’s history included several troubling incidents that jurors did not hear about during the original trial. Among the evidence was information about his relationship with a former high school girlfriend, who reportedly told a school administrator that Anthony had been stalking her following their breakup.
The conversation allegedly took place on April 2, 2025. According to prosecutors, the former girlfriend described Anthony as being unusually preoccupied with violence and said he had a strong interest in fighting, firearms and knives.
The prosecutor also discussed messages exchanged between Anthony and the former girlfriend. One particularly concerning piece of evidence involved a photograph of a knife that Anthony allegedly sent to her. In another message, he reportedly wrote that he was “low key on the verge,” a statement prosecutors interpreted as evidence that he was experiencing an emotional crisis.
Wirskye characterized Anthony’s condition at the time by saying that he appeared to be “spiraling.” Prosecutors argued that these previously undisclosed details were significant because they potentially shed light on Anthony’s behavior and mental state shortly before the deadly incident involving Metcalf.
Despite the existence of this material, jurors who heard the original murder case were not shown the evidence. The prosecution explained that this resulted from an agreement reached between prosecutors and Anthony’s defense team before the trial.
Under what Wirskye described as a “gentleman’s agreement,” prosecutors agreed not to introduce evidence concerning Anthony’s previous behavior and history. In return, the defense agreed not to introduce certain information about Metcalf’s juvenile criminal record.
The agreement meant that both sides kept potentially damaging information about the two teenagers away from the jury. Prosecutors now say that Anthony’s background contained evidence they considered relevant, while the defense had information concerning Metcalf that could also have influenced how jurors viewed the case.
Among the information that could have been introduced about Metcalf was a juvenile record involving graffiti. Prosecutors said some of the graffiti contained extremely offensive and racist language. Because of the agreement between the two sides, however, that information was also excluded from the trial.
The newly revealed evidence has become an important issue during Anthony’s appeal. His legal team is seeking to challenge aspects of the conviction, while prosecutors are defending the original proceedings and explaining why certain evidence was not presented to jurors.
Anthony was convicted in connection with the fatal stabbing of Metcalf during a high school track meet. The incident attracted significant public attention and generated intense debate surrounding the circumstances that led to the confrontation.
According to the prosecution’s account, the fatal encounter happened only a few hours after Anthony’s former girlfriend allegedly reported concerns about his behavior. Prosecutors now argue that the timing of these events is important when considering the newly disclosed evidence.
The case has also drawn attention because of the evidence recovered during the investigation. Among the items discussed in court documents was a folding knife believed by investigators to have been used in the fatal stabbing. Photographs of the weapon and the crime scene have subsequently become part of the publicly discussed evidence surrounding the case.
The prosecutor’s comments at the appeal hearing therefore introduced a different perspective on Anthony’s history than the one presented to the original jury. Rather than focusing exclusively on the confrontation at the track meet, the newly discussed material raises questions about events and communications that allegedly occurred beforehand.
One of the most significant pieces of information concerns Anthony’s former girlfriend. Prosecutors say her report to a school administrator indicated that she felt threatened or uncomfortable after their relationship ended. Her account allegedly included claims that Anthony had become increasingly obsessed with violence and weapons.
The messages discovered on Anthony’s phone were also highlighted by prosecutors. The alleged knife photograph and his statement about being close to a breaking point were presented as examples of communications that could have been relevant to understanding his emotional state.
However, the fact that this material was not shown to the jury does not automatically mean that it would have changed the outcome of the trial. The purpose of the current proceedings is to determine whether the legal process was properly conducted and whether the newly discussed evidence has any significance under the law governing Anthony’s appeal.
The defense and prosecution have different interests in interpreting the excluded evidence. Prosecutors emphasize Anthony’s alleged history and the messages found on his phone, while the defense can point to the agreement that prevented both sides from presenting certain potentially prejudicial information.
The situation also illustrates the complicated decisions lawyers make before and during criminal trials. Evidence can sometimes be excluded because both sides agree that introducing it would create additional complications or because the parties negotiate limits on what the jury will hear.
In Anthony’s case, prosecutors say the agreement resulted in jurors never learning about the allegations involving his former girlfriend or some of the messages on his phone. At the same time, jurors also did not hear about aspects of Metcalf’s juvenile record, including the offensive graffiti described by prosecutors.
As the appeal continues, the court will have to consider whether the undisclosed evidence has legal significance and whether it affects the validity of Anthony’s conviction. The judge’s decision could determine whether the case proceeds under the existing judgment or whether further legal proceedings, potentially including a new trial, should be considered.
For now, the revelations have added another layer of complexity to a case that has already attracted widespread attention. The newly discussed evidence does not change the basic fact that Anthony was convicted in connection with Metcalf’s death, but it provides additional information about the events and circumstances surrounding the case.
The appeal hearing has consequently shifted attention beyond the track-meet confrontation itself. Prosecutors are now emphasizing Anthony’s alleged behavior in the hours and months surrounding the incident, while the defense continues to challenge the legal circumstances surrounding his conviction.
Ultimately, the court will determine how much weight, if any, should be given to the evidence that the original jury never saw. The outcome could have significant implications for Anthony’s future and could also influence how the highly publicized case proceeds through the legal system.
